Saturday, May 31, 2008

Friday, May 30 Salzburg

We started a little later this morning, which was good, because our hotel was beside the railway station and some people were awakened by every train, so a little extra time in the sack was welcome.









We hit the road at 9 am for Munich, arriving in time for lunch at the Hofbrauhaus.













From there we were off to the Haus der Donauschwaben in Bayern. This is the Bavarian provincial equivalent to the national facility that we visited in Sindelfingen. Although the library here was quite limited, they had a huge collection of village trachten (costumes) and a special music collection compiled by one of their members.







We were checked in at our hotel in Salzburg at about 6:30 and headed for the old town for supper. Mary Ann was searching for a special dessert called Slazburger Nockerl that Helmut (our driver in 2006) had recommended to her.










We left the restaurant at 9. Most of the gang headed straight back to the hotel, but Mary Ann took off to explore on her own and Celeste and I wandered the old town until 10. We found the parish church (the size of our catherdral at home) and the cathedral next door open. In the cathedral, people were walking a labyrinth of candles.






Today was another warm and sunny day, temperature in the high 20s C. The hotel room was again pretty warm. Air conditioning is not very common in Europe. And their bedding arrangement is different from North America. There are no top sheets or blankets, just a quilt. If you cover with the quilt, you are way too warm. If you kick it off, you can become too cool. You have to arrive at a sort of half and half arrangement that works for you.

To Make a Short Story Long

I have a bright red hat with a white maple leaf that I purchased several years ago while in Ottawa for Canada Day. I wore it on our 2006 tour as a beacon to help keep people from being separated from the group. I am using it again this year for the same purpose.

While checking in at the hotel in Ulm, I thought the girl behind the counter looked familiar, so I asked her if she worked here two years ago. She said yes and I explained that we had been here for three days two years ago and I thought I recognized her.

When the group met later to go out with me wearing my hat beacon, she called to me, “Herr Schwartz, I remember you too!”

No comments: